When going on a vacation bedbugs are usually one of the last things people think about. Although many people do not think about bedbugs in their hotels they are a very real threat which can ruin a vacation. There has been an increase in pest treatment companies treating hotels for bedbugs in the past few years. These are some tips which can help you be bedbugs free on your vacation.
- 1) Research- search for hotel reviews that mention bedbugs and check with the bedbug registry before you book your hotel .
- 2) Inspect your room- no matter if you are in a 5 star hotel or a motel check your mattresses, chairs, headboards, and couches for blood and insect waste .
- 3) Bring a flashlight- bring a flashlight along so that you can inspect your room easier and more closely .
- 4) Protect your luggage- During your stay put your luggage in garbage bags and seal them, store luggage on hard surfaces or on chairs with long metal legs because they cannot climb up the metal legs, don’t leave your clothes or shoes on the floor .
- 5) Take Precautions- Keep luggage in sealable bags, this will prevent any bedbugs from infesting your car and prevent any bedbugs on other people’s luggage if you fly .
- 6) Inspect your luggage again- when you return to your home inspect your luggage for bedbugs once more to ensure that bedbugs do not take over your home .
- 7) Wash your clothes in hot water- when you return home wash all of your clothes in very hot water or have your clothes dry cleaned, bedbugs cannot survive extreme heat .
- 8) Get help immediately- If you accidentally bring bedbugs home with you call a pest controlprofessional immediately .
- 9) Change rooms- if you perform your room check and discover signs of bedbugs alert the hotel management immediately and request a different room, do not stay in that room and leave it as soon as possible .